Friday, August 23, 2013

How much can the music represent a nation?

I recently went to a wedding near Toulouse (so at about 5-hours drive from my place). This gave me and my husband enough time to listen to all CDs we had bought and not listened for a long time. One of them is with Romanian music. Quite old Romanian music and what can be thought as good Romanian music (we consider it that way, at least).
One of the songs actually made me laugh in a way, because of the lyrics. This is the song, if you feel like listening.
Basically, what this says is that luck was given to people. By God, probably, but it's not clearly mentioned in the song, so maybe by someone who had tons of it and didn't know what to do with it... Anyway, so when luck was "provided", everybody got loads of it, but the singer got only a glass, because he was off to work. Wait, it gets better... Then he says that even the glass was only half full, and even that half was actually with bad-luck instead of just luck
So what made me smile/laugh at this? The thought that this kind of represents for me the Romanian way of thinking. Everyone else is luckier than me, poor me, I have only bad luck and nothing goes the way I would have liked it to be... Maybe I am exaggerating in generalizing this, it's just when I heard the song (that I knew very well) it struck me as obvious.

The singer also has other very beautiful songs. My favorite is this one. But it's all in the lyrics, so it's probably boring if you don't understand them.

So I wonder how much music defines a people? Probably a lot, it just depends which one. I will talk in another post about some really bad Romanian music :-)

for reference, other very nice pieces that I love:
Phoenix (an extremely popular rock band for Romanians, one of the first...and I think also known in the US):
  Marele URSS
 Timisoara
Iris (another classic for us): Somn bizar
... and the list is long, but I have to go to a meeting. So to be continued as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment