Sunday, July 21, 2013

How will you measure your life (May 2012)

Yes, again, it’s about a book. A kind of self help book, but not the usual kind. It’s the kind Stephen Covey writes, if you know him and like his style.
And actually I won’t talk about the book in itself. What intrigued me was the title. I think we’re not asking ourselves this question often enough (if ever). How will I measure my life? It’s even stranger that once we do ask ourselves this question, it becomes obvious that what we do has nothing whatsoever to do with the things that are really important, the ones that we would like to accomplish to have a good life. Or am I the only one in this case?
I admit, I’m not totally on the wrong path, but maybe this is only because I read one of Covey’s books earlier on and some things stuck with me… But I would still say that more than 50% of my “resources” are not invested in making my life a success, after my own standards, not those of the society or other c..p.
One of Christensen’s explanations for this (yes, it’s the guy who wrote the book about how to measure your life) is that we tend to choose to invest in short term project, those that will give us a ‘asap’ ROI and instant gratification. And guess what, those short term (or short lived?) projects are not the ones we care about the most. To this I would also add another reason “because it’s so damn difficult”. It’s amazing what stupid, lazy and careless this human being can be (I’m talking about myself). It’s sooooo tiring to do the things that matter, it’s easier just to sit somewhere, wait for the time to pass and think of nothing, then start again in the morning.
I’ve been at home for the last six months (having a second baby) and all I could think about was how soon I can return to work, as sitting home all day with small children – even mine! – drives me crazy. I am still quite sure I will take better care of my time with them when I’ll only have two-three hours a day to spend with them, than now. What kind of sick twisted mind do I have? And this is just about the kids… not talking about other aspects.
Well, anyway, the purpose actually was to get you started on thinking how you can measure your life and how much of what you are doing right now is towards making it better. I’ll go back sulking in my corner and let you to it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment