Sunday, July 21, 2013

Reading mania (Jan 2010)

It started with a simple question “Why don’t you like this book? It seems to me it gives some common sense suggestions”. The answer puzzled me… “Maybe that’s what I dislike about it, that we have to read something that teaches us to do common-sense things”. Fair enough. Got my tiny chaotic wheels turning. Why do we feel the need to read about living? Don’t we know how to think, walk, behave without a book explaining it to us?
How come there are so many “self help” books around – and so popular? Did we actually forget how to live? Or is this just a habit of looking for the best way of doing things, without the trial & error process, as there’s no time to lose in the every day race we are running?
I admit I am also quite interested to the books that (try to) teach you how to think, evaluate, live, feel… this is what I find scary. I am actually waiting for the books to tell me how I should feel and explain why I am not and what I should do in order to… It’s a vicious circle.
What is also kind of stupid is that (some of) those books don’t actually make you think, they are assessing the situations and give you the solutions that you have to adopt if you want to be ”better, happier, healthier”. The entire “civilized” world is focused on these adjectives. Maybe we have too much of everything, don’t know what to do with it. Maybe we are too high on the famous “needs pyramid”, so we started looking for easy recipes to happiness. I wonder if Haiti’s population is currently considering ”being zen” and “making peace with their inner-child” as solutions to more happiness in their lives. Yes, of course it’s a caricature, but maybe less that you’d think. It’s a very strange world we’re living in…

No comments:

Post a Comment